Original Books

Original Books is the blog where you will find the best of Christian fiction reviews. We hope you enjoy this blog and that you keep up with us as we continue to post reviews. Make sure you check the Elite List, the list of books we have rated 4 stars and above and the coming soon list to see what will soon be posted. If you feel we have forgotten about an author or a book or have any questions please email us at originalbooks200@gmail.com. Thanks for reading!

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Enclave by Karen Hancock

Needless to say, I was not excited when I heard about Karen Hancock's new release, The Enclave. I was even less excited when I read what it was about: a male and a female working together in a genetic institute with a crazy scientist leading them. My excitement (if there was any at this point) decreased more when I saw the length of the book (nearly 500 pages) and read the first and last chapters (maybe I shouldn't have done that).
Throughout the first and second chapters, Hancock thoroughly overemphasizes the amount of dislike between the male and female leads. On top of that, the villain is extremely obvious at his first appearance into the plot. On top of that, there is a subplot that keeps the reader isolated from its true meaning.
All until part two.
I must say, part two is the highlight of the book. It begins the best and ends the best of any other portions of the book. But if she had stopped there, than she would have had to have written a sequel, so for that reason alone, I'm glad it's a long book. Also, the romance is not paramount in the plot up until the very end. Hancock does a good job at keeping her writing emotions at bay by keeping the two people apart for at least a reasonable amount of time.
After saying all that, I wish I could say she did everything she could with this plot. If she had done everything possible to make this book original, than it would be on the Elite List. But no. I found the very end of the book to be pretty cheesy and expected. A miracle occurs at the end of the book. I don't like miracles that make the inevitable romance convenient and easy to carry out.
However, Hancock is definitely getting better and better. If she keeps this track up, she'll be on the Elite List in no time. But she shouldn't continue this plot with a sequel. Definitely not.
3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment